Friday, June 6, 2014

A Dream within a Dream


This place stays where it has always been, implanted not only in the earth but also in the imagination. My grandparents used to live on this land, land that has always proved the enigmatic Tara in my life, a sort of collective daydream for my entire family, especially now that the house no longer stands and part of the land has been sold,

but I can look over the fence and see where my cousins and I learned to swim. The ancient black oak still fills the sky above the swing where my grandmother would sing me nursery rhymes.  Though now, the neighbors’ own overzealous breed of Cerberus tends to keep the tree company.

However, one barn remains on my family’s side of the fence, and so a new dream begins, a dream of breezy outdoor movies and twinkly party lights glowing into the night.


After mowing the sea of grass this week (in an air-conditioned, CD-playing tractor, I might add), 

my sister and I can get out the tall ladder to hang a big, white sheet from the side of the barn before setting up the movie projector.  We’ll have a place for picnic blankets and for summertime refreshments, and everyone we know can mingle before enjoying a great movie under the stars.

On other evenings, flowering vines accent both of the giant doors that will be open to let in a country view, and party goers (maybe even a bride and groom) will dance the night away in a place decorated especially for them. I can already see the cleaned stables transformed into sweet dressing rooms or a hard working catering area and friends strolling across the grass.

Can you imagine?
I can.
Maybe, this is not just a dream…

No comments:

Post a Comment