Thursday, April 10, 2014

Psst Postal Service...


My sister, Olivia, & I have been missing each other lately. She’s in Georgia, and I’m in Memphis, but to shorten the miles between us, we’ve devised a new game…

Have you ever had nagging questions about what your letters experience during their trip through the US Postal Service or what would happen if you sent something oddly shaped through regular mail? Well, (for some reason) we have, which prompted us to find out once and for all.

Here’s the plan:
Send Odd Things in the Mail!!

Rule 1: Everything we send must abide by postal rules.
Rule 2:  Our shipping methods must be considerate of others using or working at the USPS.
Rule 3: This experiment must be inexpensive.



...otherwise, the sky's the limit!

Some Very Official Supplies (chosen mostly by Olivia):

1.   Fragile Object Test: Dorito Chips
    • Make sure to choose the most perfect specimen.

    • I sealed our (nasty) food in a Ziploc to avoid Dorito dust & grease seeping onto others' parcels. 
2.   Shipping Temperature Test: Lip Balm
    • We chose Burt's Bees because (thanks to the greenhouse effect in my car) I know it melts. 
    • The watermelon Lip Smacker was a clear choice because, seriously, what else is there to do with your sister's worst smelling ten year old lip gloss?
       
    • I removed half  of the Burt's Bees to make any meltage more evident.
    • The lip balm also got its own Ziploc.
3.   Will It Arrive in Georgia Test:  Dollar Tree Easter Bunny
    • I didn't get any photos of this cute little stuffed animal before attaching a clearly addressed card.



After weighing all of the objects, I actually added a few more stamps to the bunny than the machine recommended...I really do want it to get safely to Georgia.


Also, a word of advice: Every trip to the post office is a great opportunity to send your sister a sweet note!

Well now, everything is in the mail. What will happen to these test subjects?! Share your ideas and keep reading. Olivia will let me know the results from Georgia, and I'll post them on the blog! 


No comments:

Post a Comment