Saturday, March 29, 2014

An Easter Egg Color Scheme


Two of the first questions to consider when planning a party are:

What will my color scheme be? 
       and
What do I already have that fits in the color scheme and is thematically appropriate?


You can choose a traditional color scheme.  For me, all sorts of pastels come to mind for Easter, but more unexpected tones can also be a hit. One of Martha Stewart’s designers even chose some interestingly beautiful, natural color palettes for her past Easter baskets.


Last year, at our low-fuss, immediate family meal,  I based my Easter dinner colors on some adorable, new Williams Sonoma bunny taper holders.
Williams sonoma
    Which look like candies without the candles!

I incorporated the bunnies’ pink, lavender, green, and yellow hues into everything from the (zero fuss) paper napkins to the salt & pepper shakers and centerpiece. The food even loosely fit into the color palette. 
Williams sonoma

These colors even made an appearance outside!
easter colors


Now, if there’s one decoration I have in spades, it’s plastic eggs
                                    …my sister & I were a tad competitive at childhood Easter egg hunts,
and now I like to think of these brightly tinted toys as 
invaluable spring décor!

   
I sorted mine by color a few years ago.
color scheme
*This was a  big job. Lately, I've found that storing the sorted colors in individual bags helps the decorating go faster.

After sorting into various colors, the eggs can easily accent the rest of your party or set off the design of different Easter baskets.easter egg

Up close:
Easter Basket


easter colors

easter basket

These are all pretty old, very well loved baskets.
easter eggs

Do I see the GOLDEN EGG?!!
easter eggs

Yes!
Easter basket

Single color baskets can also nicely complement decor
easter eggs

Or act as play toys for the cat.
Easter eggs

Does anyone else have strategies for devising a color palette or using those hundreds of plastic eggs? Please, share with the blog!

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you've sorted the eggs by tone, rather than color. I'd normally be too scared to do this, making only single-color baskets, but this is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Aasiya! I say, fearlessly experiment with different tones until you find what best expresses your color scheme. Through trial & (even some strange) errors, I've found that mixing different shades of the same color and even adding totally contrasting colors can add depth to anything from a collection of eggs to even more serious decor. Glad you appreciated the post!

    ReplyDelete