Thursday, March 20, 2014

Daffodils and Dixon

I started a daffodil hunt in my front yard today.


Dixon

A neighbor’s yard is a sea of daffodils (that apparently don’t photograph very well).
Dixon

 My daffodil hunt continued to Memphis’s Dixon Gallery and Gardens, a woodland setting down the street.  
I knew this trip would be worthwhile. Seriously, these were in the parking lot median:
dixon

It’s nice to know what you’re looking at without needing a smart phone…thanks Dixon! 
daffodil

I decided to find out how many of these varieties are blooming

… a choice that met with less than stellar, but still pretty, results

Dixon



…because it’s been, well, a hostile environment out here…Some readers may remember a bit of cold weather and a dash of torrential rain here and there this winter.

dixon


A few flowers are tad beaten up but still a beautiful color,


…and I see that there are many early signs of spring (though daffodils are clearly my focus).

These blooms are so expressive.
Some seem curious about the camera

…while others appear to rise above the rest.

In this season of contrasts, the tall, bare trees don’t seem to notice little patches of yellow springing up beneath them.

Here lush, new growth blossoms,

and I recall refreshing beauty like Wordsworth’s daffodils “Fluttering and dancing in the breeze"

…as I return home.






 

 

2 comments:

  1. A friend just reminded me that Dixon is having a beautiful daffodil show this afternoon from 1-4. It sounds like a fun opportunity for everyone to see what's blooming now that spring is finally here.

    Here's the official info: http://www.dixon.org/Default.aspx?p=92086&evtid=141633:3/23/2014

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete