Monday, August 18, 2014

A Cake Pattern…or Recipe for Party Success


Confession: my name is Erica Marchbanks, and I’m moderately addicted to patterns.  I love bright, cheerful, repeated designs. The more pattern, the better! My mommy thinks it’s precious, my sister thinks I need help, but I just think about Lilly Pulitzer…and sometimes Vera Bradley...which sometimes gets me in trouble.

To be specific about my love of pattern, blue & yellow based motifs are pretty great, green & pink are even better, but I’m a major sucker for any shade of blue & red/coral images splashed across whatever product you may be selling. For instance, I’ve gone so far as to call Lilly’s She She Shells “my pattern.” 
Photo credit: The Juice Stand Blog

So, it’s no surprise I was quite smitten with Vera Bradley’s Marina Paisley last year. I looked at the magazine, spied that pattern, and marched myself straight into the Saddle Creek Vera store, determined to purchase something great.  This would all be well & good if I had chosen something even slightly useful…but alas, that was not true.

I bought a recipe holder. Ok, well, maybe it would be useful for other people, but my cooking skills are sub par, and I don’t have five special, go-to recipes to my name. What was I to do? My recipe holder was so beautiful. I had chosen one where my favorite part of the pattern was front and center (a vital part of shopping for the pattern lover). It was clearly the best, not overly expensive object in the store. It was looking great in its new home. I had to keep it. I just decided it would have to look nice empty. So I called my grandmother, a fellow pattern lover, to tell her all about my new recipe book.


It was just the phone call I needed (how do grandmothers always know what to do?). Along with patterns, my grandmom shares my love of chocolate. She offered me her favorite Kahlua cake recipe to add to my new organizer and told me she would love a piece of cake if I wanted to try the recipe that night.  I tried the recipe, & to my surprise, it really was easy and delicious!   I brought my grandmother half the cake, and carried some to a friend’s birthday party.  Everyone asked how to make this dessert. I was on a roll! The first recipe in the booklet was now my go-to recipe! I couldn’t thank my grandmom enough!

Over the last year, I have brought this cake to many events, & with different garnishes, it has fit every occasion! Somehow, following my seemingly silly interests melded with a little grandmotherly magic and mixed into a cake for any party. 

So without further ado....

Here's the recipe for 
My Grandmother's (Very Easy) Kahlua Cake:

Ingredients:
(Remember, it's tasty. I didn't say healthy.)

1 box               Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake mix 
1 small box   Jello brand instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups             Sour Cream 
4                       Eggs
3/4 cups        Vegetable Oil
1/2 cups        Kahula
6 oz                  Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Directions:

Mix everything except chocolate chips. 
Mix in chocolate chips. 
Pour into a greased bunt pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Decorate for the occasion if you want to....mine isn't that beautiful, but looks aren't everything...it's perfect as it is.

...just don't take it to a party I'm going to...unless you want double the Kahlua cake!

Enjoy,
  Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment