Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lazy Labor Day


Let’s be honest, no one knows what to do to celebrate Labor Day.  Actually, I’m pretty sure we’re all a little hazy on what this day even is. That’s why I did a little Wiki research (shh, don’t tell my high school English teachers). 
Essentially, it’s a holiday to celebrate the achievements of American workers and began in 1887.  Strangely, my research source also lists a series of Labor Day celebration protocols…none of which I’m really up for. The list includes: “a street parade to exhibit to the public ‘the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations’" and speeches by famous people. 
            I propose a different way of celebrating this year.  As many people’s first day off in a long time, this day just seems to call for relaxation. Let’s take a cue from my lackluster research and just act a little lazy.

So, here’s what I’m thinking:
  • Take out burgers, no cleaning the grill for my family
  • Cute paper plates & napkins
  • Reuse last year's simple Fourth of July tablescape...it is an American holiday after all & surely no one will mind a freshened up centerpiece!

For the tablescape, I have homemade, red white & blue floating candles that were so easy, they would be a relaxing craft for the long weekend. 

The instructions on Martha Stewart’s website are pretty simple. This is also a good way to use muffin tins if you aren’t exactly a baker!

I plan to display them in a shallow cake stand to provide a little height to the centerpiece. I'll also add a few color coordinating summer flowers (in this case, impatiens & hydrangeas), cut out some patriotic pinwheels, and that’s about it.  Keep in mind these candles are pretty small & don’t burn for very long, so light them right before dinner! 



Oh and use a waterproof trivet to protect your table from water/wax incidents!

Hope this give you a little creative inspiration to enjoy your lazy day!

Enjoy your weekend,
   Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment